Prekindergarten programs were developed in Saskatchewan to provide early educational supports for children aged 3 and 4 to lay the foundation for school success. Consideration for Pre-Kindergarten is based on criteria set out by the Ministry of Education. Please review the criteria at the bottom of this webpage. Submitting an application does not guarantee admittance. Families can register online via the form below or may download the Pre-Kindergarten Registration Form here and drop the registration form at the school or call the school to arrange a time to register.
Pre-K Registration Form
Prekindergarten programs were developed in Saskatchewan to provide early educational supports for children aged 3 and 4 to lay the foundation for school success.
Consideration for Prekindergarten is based on criteria set out by the Ministry of Education. Submitting an application does not guarantee admittance.
Criteria for Admission:
- Low family income
- Single parent homes
- Teen parent(s)
- Family abuse/neglect
- Alcohol/drug abuse in the family
- Parents have less than a high school education
- Family isolation
- Frequent parent absence
- Physical/mental health of parent(s) affects the family
- Child experiences communication/language delays
- Non-English mother tongue in the home
Program Focus for Prekindergarten programs:
Prekindergarten focuses on the development of the whole child - social, emotional, physical, intellectual and spiritual development. Children are provided with opportunities to develop language and social skills through active learning and play. Daily activities are child-centered, choice-driven and language-rich.
- A developmentally-appropriate educational program based on Saskatchewan’s Play and Exploration Early Learning Program Guide.
- Active, experiential learning through play
- Child-centered, self-directed activities with choice
- Small class sizes
- Family engagement
- Learning environments that respond to the cultures, abilities and interests of children
- One teacher and one assistant responsible for each class
Important things to know about the program:
- Classes are held at Barr Colony School
- Class sizes in Prekindergarten are limited to 16 children.
- There is no fee to Participate in LPSD's Prekindergarten program.
- Prekindergarten is a needs-based program. Students are accepted into the program based on criteria set out by the Ministry of Education. See the "Criteria" section for more information
- Children must be 3 years old by Sept. 30 and reside within the LPSD attendance area to be eligible for admission to Prekindergarten
- Transportation provided within the city limits
- Children who will be five years old by Dec. 31 are age-appropriate for Kindergarten.
- Classes will be held Monday through Thursday for two hours each.
- LPSD Prekindergarten applications for the 2021-2022 school year will be accepted beginning March 23. Please see online application below.
- If your child attended Prekindergarten in the 2019/2020 school year and they are not age-eligible for Kindergarten and you would like them to continue in Prekindergarten, you must fill out a reapplication form. Please click here to download the reapplication form.
- Parents will be notified during the week of June 7-11 to let them know whether their child has been accepted or placed on a waitlist. Please see below to view the Criteria for Admission.
FOR MORE INFORMATION ABOUT LPSD'S PREKINDERGARTEN PROGRAM,
PLEASE EMAIL PREKINDERGARTEN@LPSD.CA.
Registration for Pre-Kindergarten
Families can register online via the form below, or may download the Pre-Kindergarten Registration Form here and drop the registration form at the school or call the school to arrange a time to register.